Essay contest sponsored by sister group to TASC
A sister creation group to TASC is the Midwest Creation Fellowship, https://midwestcreationfellowship.org/. They have created an essay contest!
Find out more about it below.
Entries will be accepted from
January 1 to April 30, 2019
Senior High Level (Ages 14-18 )
- $500 First Place
- $250 Second Place
- $150 Third Place
Junior High Level (Ages 11-14 )
- $300 First Place
- $200 Second Place
- $100 Third Place
Who may enter
- Entrants must be between the ages of 11 and 18 as of April 30. *Entrants 14 years old on April 30 may enter either Junior or Senior division.
- Entrants do NOT need to be members of Midwest Creation Fellowship!
- Entrants do NOT need to reside in the United States.
- "Doing a Report on Creation vs. Evolution on Answers in Genesis site. They also have many books, articles, DVDs. Some are free downloads!
- MCF maintains a Library-by-Mail which can help supply resources for writing this paper! Join now to receive 1 year of access to over 700 titles of VHS, DVD, CD, print and audio media!
- FREE BOOK to help you find information (while our supply lasts)! One copy per family of The Evolution Handbook. If you'd like a printed copy, ask us! But this author makes his books free online. The printed, 992-page book is jamed with information, but his online encyclopedia is even bigger! And, of course, it's searchable electronically, unlike print books. DO REMEMBER TO LOOK AT MULTIPLE SOURCES FOR YOUR POINTS, not just one book, and tell where they came from! You will
- Take advantage of online programs to check grammar, spelling, and accidental plagiarism. (Google it!)
To encourage the development of skills in research, analysis and logical reasoning through preparing an effective presentation of a thesis in a creation-oriented paper.
- Essays are due by midnight of April 30.
- If submitting an electronic document, email it as an attached .PDF, .DOC, or .WP file, to StudentEssayContest [at] MidwestCreationFellowship.org.
OpenOffice documents are a little "dicey," so please don't use their native document format. We prefer electronic documents, because they don't need to be scanned to reproduce them for judges, or potentially, to post them on the web.
- If submitting a paper document, mail it to:
PO Box 479
Gurnee, IL 60031-0479.
- Expect a confirmation within 3 days after you submit via email, or 7 days if you submit via snail-mail. Give us an eddress or a phone number to contact you. If you don't hear from us within those time frames, call 847-223-4730 and re-send it to info [at] midwestcreationfellowship.org.
Paper must be:
- Topic must strongly relate to the subject of creation vs. evolution, from a creationist perspective. (Topic Suggestions)
- Typewritten and double spaced
- Up to 1500 words for Junior High or 2500 words for Senior High (Footnotes, endnotes, bibliography and title page do not count towards the word limit.)
- Graphics may be included
- Give references to sources of ideas, quotes and graphics
- Be careful to avoid plagiarizing! The Web has much helpful content. Examples: Plagiarism.org, Grammarly.com, WriteCheck.com. They'll also check for errors in grammar, spelling, etc.
Entries will include a cover page showing the author's:
- First and last name
- Age as of April 30
- Home address
- Phone number
- Email address
- School (or 'Homeschool')
- If you're 14 on April 30, state whether you're entering as Junior or Senior High level
- And the title of your paper
Essays will be judged on:
- Biblical and scientific facts and logic
- Ability to communicate ideas
- Technical ability (writing skills, grammar, etc.)
- Meeting all stated rules of the contest, including being submitted on time. Late papers are accepted for a few days, but penalized.
What to expect:
- All entrants will be notified by mail of their status, usually in July.
- All entries become the property of MCF and will not be returned. Prize-winning entries may be reproduced and distributed by MCF.
- Winners may be invited to present their papers at an MCF meeting in the autumn.